понедельник, 18 мая 2015 г.

Day 1. April 27. Riga - Bauska (Latvia) on a bicycle

Distance: 67 km, Riga-Bauska
Total distance: 67 km
Elevation: 313 / - 299 m
Expenses: EUR 0.30 (toilet at the bus station)
Memory of the day: seeing a moose running through the forest alongside the road

I left Saint-Petersburg the night before, and the weather was perfect for leaving it behind: pouring rain.

I arrived to Riga at 7 a.m. It met me with fog and that's how I left it. The weather became much nicer soon, warm and sunny: my face even got a little sunburn. First 50 km of the way were very flat and thus quite boring, with the last 22 getting a bit more exciting: some hills, some wind. Heart beating, feeling alive and all that.
I arrived to Bauska a few hours earlier than planned and had to wait for my host to get off work, so I went to see a local tourist attraction - Bauska castle, and also walked around in a nearby park.
My host, Juris, works as a tour guide in a car museum and gave me a tour when I showed up. I remember the story about Audi brand history: the name used to be Horch (translates as "hear") and when four car companies merges (hence the four rings in the logo) they took that name but in Latin.
After that we walked home and I got to get rid of some of my provision (I think I took too much - cooked some bulgur which went well with hummus and famous local rye bread.
We talked the whole evening, having some interesting engaging discussions mostly about politics. He was a great conversation partner who actually made an effort to come up with his own opinions and work out rational beliefs rather than just using some claims many people are brainwashed with and just adopt.
Also very kind to give me a towel (I forgot one) and a reflecting safety vest (forgot to look for it when shopped for gear).

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий